Gowalla is to be shutdown.
After being acquired by Facebook the “also ran” to FourSquare will be shutting down early in 2012, according to Techcrunch.
So while Facebook may have acquired the skills and experience of the FourSquare team, they’re not taking over all the data.
So will Facebook use some of the technology to improve their own location based services? You’d have to assume that was the plan..
Guess we’ll find out ..
- Facebook Acquires Gowalla (socialmediaexpert.ie)
- Facebook Confirms Acquisition of Gowalla (mashable.com)
- Gowalla confirms move to Facebook, service to shut down in January (engadget.com)
- Instagram gets a slice of Gowalla’s design staff in Tim Van Damme (thenextweb.com)
- Facebook buys Gowalla in assault on location-sharing market (guardian.co.uk)
- Why Facebook needs Gowalla (telegraph.co.uk)