Facebook has acquired Gowalla according to reports.
Gowalla, which offers very similar functionality to FourSquare, never quite seemed to be as popular as its rival.
Facebook had been offering a location based service for its mobile users, but they were reportedly going to be phasing it out, but with the addition of Gowalla that will probably change ie. the current Facebook system will be supplanted by Gowalla’s technology.
The main page of Gowalla currently offers users the option to signup via Facebook, though it still maintains a signup feature for those that do not wish to succumb to Zuckerburg. Whether that will change or not is probably too early to tell
- Report: Facebook Acquires Location App Gowalla (forbes.com)
- Facebook Buys Gowalla [REPORT] (mashable.com)
- Facebook To Acquire Location Service Gowalla? (viralblog.com)
- Facebook Buys Gowalla (gizmodo.com.au)
- Here’s how to delete your Gowalla account if you don’t want Facebook to have it (thenextweb.com)